2009-12-17

Using Google Collections

I'm sure this is "Old hat" to a lot of people but I just watched these two videos on Google Collections: Part 1, Part 2. The MultiMap is definitely something I could have used many times in the past, and I will use it from now on!

I decided to convert a couple of static final maps in my App Engine project to Immutable ones instead. Previously I was using this method to create and initialise maps:
public static final Map<String, Calendar> iterations = new HashMap<String, Calendar>() {{
  put(TEAM_A, new GregorianCalendar(2009,9,5));
  put(TEAM_B, new GregorianCalendar(2009,8,15));
  put(TEAM_C, new GregorianCalendar(2009,7,21));  
 }};


Now I have this:
public static final Map<String, Calendar> ITERATIONS = 
  new ImmutableMap.Builder<String, Calendar>().
  put(TEAM_A, new GregorianCalendar(2009,9,5)).
  put(TEAM_B, new GregorianCalendar(2009,8,15)).
  put(TEAM_C, new GregorianCalendar(2009,7,21)).
  build();

No comments: